Monday, April 25, 2016

Invisible

 'Invisible illnesses'  a term used to describe illnesses that are chronic but may not be visible such as depression, ADHD or Asthma.  At the end of September - early October is Invisible Illness Week, and I get that that is not anytime close, but I think that the idea deserves to be recognized all year round, because those of us with invisible illnesses are fighting everyday.   So, this week, today, I decided to talk about it.

I never really thought about the connection of an invisible chronic illness and diabetes.  Often I see copy and paste esque statuses on Facebook that highlight the idea of having an invisible illness but I never thought to relate it to my own situation as a type 1 diabetic.  Living with diabetes I see my disease very well, it is not invisible to me.  I see my insulin pump, my tubing, my sites and CGM, I see the blood on my finger tips and the carbohydrates on the cereal box. I see the numbers from high to low and the blood test strips in my purse and car.  There is lots of visibility going on when living with diabetes.

But, to the public, often no one realizes I have diabetes. Often my insulin pump is tucked neatly in my bra or pocket, my meter is in my bag, along with my strips, and low supplies. I rarely bust out my supplies mid shopping trip or while relaxing on a patio, so to many people I am just your average person living life as normal. What makes diabetes invisible is just that, I can perfectly go about my day without anyone questioning my health. That being said, I could go low or really high and cause a scene, but for the most part, I can linger around town without anyone noticing that I am dealing with diabetes 24/7.

I think that this week that will come around again this fall, the important thing to remember is that everyone is fighting a battle, and to really think twice about making any judgements about anyones life.  I may not look like I am dealing with anything serious, but we all know how serious diabetes is. I am looking forward to this week, to be able to raise even more awareness about invisible illnesses.

Kayla

2 comments:

  1. My name is Antonio Jefferson Cole, I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how I got healed from genital herpes 12 hours ago. I have read so many comments from some people who have been cured of HIV by Dr. Ekpiku, but I never believed them. I was hurt and depressed, so I was very curious and wanted to try Dr. Ekpiku, so I contacted him on his email Ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com when I get in touch with him, he assured me 100% that it will heal me, I begged Him to help me. My treatment was a great success, he healed me as he promised. He sent me his medication and asked me to go for check-up after 2 weeks of taking the medication. I agree with him, I took this medication and went to the check-up after 2 month, to my greatest surprise my result was negative after treatment, I am really happy that I am healed and healthy again. I waited for four months to make sure I was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test today and was still negative Herpes, so I think its time I tell someone out there with Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, hepatitis B, diabetes, cancer and so on, Dr. Ekpiku in the email: Ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com . Your phone number is +2348073673757, He is also on whats app. I completely understand how you can feel skeptical about it, because it happened to me, it can be expensive for you, but I'm telling you now that there is a cure for these diseases and I am a living witness firsthand.or you can email me on antoniojeffersoncole@gmail.com for any assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone, I was infected with the herpes virus and I got cured of the herpes virus few months ago after i contacted Dr Ekpiku. I saw a post on the internet after i have seek healing for several years from different doctors in California. I sent the Doctor a request for help, just a few email i followed his instruction and he sent me the medication after i paid him. Now i am negative and i referred him to all my friend who had this same sickness and they have gotten their cure too. You can contact him via his email.Ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com or Ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com or Phone call: 2348073673757. While i was on his medication i understood that he can also cure HERPES, HIV/AIDS, CANCER, Male/female menopause, Miscarriage, Menstruation problems, PREGNANCY PROBLEM, EPILEPSY, GONORRHEA, LASSA FEVER, OBESITY, KIDNEY FAILURE, HYPERTENSION, FIBROID TUMOR and many more.

    ReplyDelete