Thursday, December 12, 2013

What I have

When I was diagnosed with type one diabetes in 2009 I didn't worry about where I was going to get my insulin nor did I worry about dying. I was more concerned about what this meant for me having to arrange my life around my diabetes, something that now seems so trivial after meeting and speaking to people around the world whose main concerns regarding diabetes do in fact revolve around access to insulin and risk of early complications or death.

I can safely say that I returned to Canada, leaving a piece of my heart with individuals around the world. It broke my heart to hear that in Zambia, getting a meter isn't easy. In fact, the specific person, had diabetes for eight years before getting his/her own meter.  The clinic was where he/she checked not at home.  Something that blew my mind, as I thought about the diabetes supplies I had been hoarding at home.  I felt guilty, sad, mad at myself for collecting and not giving.

Sydney, AUS. Hospital
Diabetes in Canada is not like Diabetes in the Caribbean, and Diabetes in the Caribbean is not like diabetes in Europe - it is all different and I think that we all, as young leaders realized this quickly. When I finish school in the next few months my insurance will stop funding my diabetes supplies (insulin and test strips) because I will no longer be in school. As much as this scares me because I know how much these life saving items cost, I know that I have the option of either buying insurance OR getting a job that covers the cost.  The insulin pump and the supplies, however, is covered by ADP and that will not change when I finish school.

Knowing what I know now about countries around the world and the difference regarding access to insulin and other supplies - I feel less fearful of my future and rather upset about others. I wish so badly there was a way to guarantee that no one dies because they cannot get access to insulin or because they did not have the opportunity to test their blood sugar or sugar in their urine.  This is terribly upsetting.

I know that there are various foundations that are working at making change and I truly feel like we as diabetics have the power to make change. It just is not an easy task.

3 comments:

  1. do you have coverage for cgms sensors ?
    belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't personally have coverage for CGM Sensors.. I know that some people can get them covered through private insurance though.

      Kayla

      Delete
  2. Hi Kayla,

    There is a group based out of Edmonton, Alberta that works to get donated supplies to countries where they aren't readily available. If you're interested you can check out their site at insulinforlifecanada.org

    ReplyDelete