Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What if I Met No-one?

I was talking with a friend the other day on our walk about what makes one person do something about their situation while others in the same situation decide to not do anything. Often times people tell me that what I do with my diabetes isn't like others, in my reality I am just doing what everyone else is doing that I know, but when I think about it it is because I surround myself with motivated, inspiring people living with type one diabetes.
This photo was taken two years ago at Slipstream (CIM)

I told her that it likely comes from a mix of things - the reason why I am so positive about my diabetes and life in general.  First of all, when I was diagnosed on March 13th 2009, I was instantly introduced to an organization called Connected in Motion. By instant, I mean literally in the hospital bed in the E.R.

The first diabetic that I officially met was the creator of this not-for-profit group for young adults with type one. We met at a small cafe in Brantford, Ont. and chatted about our diabetes - me being only a couple weeks into the whole lifestyle.  I remember at that moment that I felt so completely OK with my diabetes.  I remember her talking about extreme thirst, having to make frequent bathroom visits, weight loss....everything you can find on the back of a diabetes pamphlet was coming from the mouth of someone I felt inspired by and totally connected to.

So, when I think about my diagnosis, I think to myself what if I hadn't met another inspiring diabetic the first few weeks. What if I met no one? What if I met the grumpiest, negative diabetic who told me it wouldn't be O.K? Well, my diagnosis would have probably went a lot worse, I may not have never continued writing this blog, never thought of the type 1 diabetes meme page, never put myself out there to get nominated for IDF or climb Mount Kilimanjaro.

It's never to late to change your mind about your diagnosis though.  You may have had a horrible run at it so far, but it's never to late to be re-inspired.

Kayla

7 comments:

  1. This is so very true! So many Type 1's don't get the opportunity to interact with others who know exactly what they are going through and it's so very sad! There should be more type 1's out there like you Kayla who see to have a positive outlook and willing to help others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So one of the ER nurses showed you the page for connected in motion ? is the founder from Brantford ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it was the founders now, husband that was from Brantford. She isn't from Brantford.

      Delete
  3. so was the ER nurse T1. were you on your laptop at the time. or ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nurse was not type one, but she knew Chloe and they let me use the computer there.

      Kayla

      Delete
  4. Do you know I find type 1 diabetes is very prevalent in Brantford. I went to BCI and there was seemingly so many kids with type 1. The prevalence in type 1 is supposed to be 1 in 100. I feel it is prevalent in Brantford and Hamilton

    There was some case where there was a very high rate of type 1 in a suburb of Boston and it was reported to the CDC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was 2 months past my 17th birthday when I was diagnosed with diabetes. the 1st time they tested my sugar it was only 15 and I did not have ketones. My family doctor gave me a prescription for metformin. When the pharmacist taught me how to use the meter and I tried it my BG on the meter was HI. The pharmacist told me to go upstairs and they called up to the doctor. Family doctor send me to the hospital

    My family doctor is Dr. Elliott and one of the pharmacists downstairs is diabetic at northview pharmacy.

    I guess my family doctor did not know how to handle the situation. I think the fact that I did not have ketones confused them.

    I had to stay in the hospital until I could give myself shots. I was on the pediatric floor

    ReplyDelete