Sunday, August 12, 2012

Moments

I have taken a little vacation from the blog for a solid week and it's time to get back at it.  Sometimes people ask me how I am able to write about diabetes every single day - well most of the time I explain that being a creative writer and living with the disease 24/7 is what usually gives me something to write about.

I try to acknowledge those moments in the life of a diabetic that most of us are just so used to that we don't think twice about it.  Life with diabetes is constant and most of the things we do as diabetics on a regular basis are repetitive and so ordinary to us that we don't bother to wonder why we do that or why certain things happen.

My life with diabetes has been interesting. I have made my entire life a tale of diabetes.  Working with a diabetes association, writing about diabetes, speaking about diabetes and most of all living with diabetes.  That word alone  seems to have become so familiar with me like my last name or something.

There are times however, I wish to remove that 'D' last name and just be myself. The person I was pre diabetes.  But, a quick reminder of how I was a person lacking motivation, lacking strong friendships and hadn't quite allowed myself to test my limits. I realize that having diabetes in my life has made me the person I am today.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment