Friday, May 25, 2012

Share Some

We always hear about the horror stories when it comes to talking about diabetes and complications. Of course, there isn't too many pretty rainbow, uplifting tales about people getting complications, but couldn't we begin to showcase those living with type 1 diabetes that are living life complication-free.  Those are the stories that need to be shared with everyone, those are the stories that will prevent one diabetic from thinking, if this is where it leads than I don't want to be here.

Over the three years that I have lived with type 1 I have heard countless stories from both ends. Stories of people going blind, yet stories of people living a long happy life with type 1.  I don't know why people do it, but it seems some people love to share the horror stories, in hopes that it will make you take your disease more seriously, but really that approach is so outdated and doesn't work - trust me.

It's good of course to know the complications, but trust me, a diabetic doesn't forget that high blood sugars can lead to blindness, so tell us, then never tell us again - thanks.   It's hard work being diabetic and of course we did not do anything to deserve such a thing; however, we use our strength and motivation to get through each and every day, carb counting, finger pricking and injecting (or pumping...)  The extra chores of being diabetic is tiring and can bring someone down fast, faster than insulin can bring down blood sugar.

What is inspiring is hearing stories of survivors, hearing stories of great success or funny stories that are not serious, but relatable. I see it in the way people react to the type 1 diabetes meme page or in the Diabetic Mothers' Facebook groups.  I see that sharing those little bits of inspiration is what keeps diabetics and/or their caregivers going every morning. Could you imagine getting up every morning hearing about how so-and-so lost their leg. NO!  Negative comments about diabetes are disturbing and spirit-breaking - no one wants to hear it.

So this movement is something that everyone can take into their lives - being so attached to social media it is easy to bring a whole bunch of people down with you.  But, why?  When you can make yourself smile (try it, just force a smile and you will feel that tiny bit of happiness run through you...) and write something uplifting.   So, I had bad blood sugars today, but guess what I realized how lucky I am to have the tools to try and make it even better!   Don't let the bad bits of diabetes take over all the good things that come from it - yes, good things from diabetes - imagine that!

Share some inspiration.

Kayla

5 comments:

  1. Laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're diabetic, of course; then insulin is a really close second! (I forget where that quote comes from, but I love it - makes me smile!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog everyday is so inspiring and I am sure everyone who reads it thanks you for it! Some mornings reading your blog is what keeps me going :) and your right I hate hearing horror stories about diabetes people always think they can scare me in to taking my diabetes more seriously with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla, as I'm sure you know by now (since I comment on your posts here and on Facebook so often!), I have been Diabetic AND complication-free for twenty years! I'm a young, vibrant young adult who prefers to see the good in all things not-so-good (much like you!). My parents took very good care of me when I was growing up with diabetes and always taught me the most important things in diabetes management: eat well, take insulin, exercise, and smile! Not to mention, they indirectly taught me to own my diabetes, and not let it own me! These little things are exactly what have kept me on my toes, putting off complication-onset year after year. Congratulations to you for your positive attitude and keep it up! Diabetes can be overcome, and together, with the support of family, friends, and others with type 1, we can fight this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 3, back in 1974. I am 41 now, insulin-dependent for 38 years. I have zero complications! It's rather amazing since I used the old bovine insulin for my first 20 years, and only took 1 or 2 shots a day. I didn't even have a glucose meter in those days. My first meter cost my parents $300, and was awful. It required a huge drop of blood, and the countdown was 45 seconds. I did my best with what I had to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, but at least we had insulin and test-tape and keto diastix to test our urines. Before insulin and the urine testing things, juvenile onset diabetics didn't last too long. And our fasting were tested, to see how we were doing. If you were following the diabetic diet, like I did for the first few years, that is probably why you're doing so well now.

    I was diagnosed in 1965 age 5. So I've been insulin dependant for going on 47 years. I don't have any complications.

    I started out with u40 beef, then went to u80, then u100, then went to beef/pork, then pork. Now I'm on humulin insulin. I'm not on a pump or a pen I still use a syringe. I DO NOT CARBOHYDRATE count.

    I loved the first meter I had. I was big and I prefer big to these silly little ones. I want something that won't fall out of my hand. I also prefer it to take longer than 5 seconds to give me a reading because I don't trust that it can actually give me an accurate reading.

    I think every diabetic is unique. There are the general guidelines then each of us go off on our own. My low symptoms don't follow the guidelines. I can be thirsty or tired at 35 or 350. Because I've been a diabetic for so long, I know my body. But with age comes hormonal so new ways are learned.

    As long as each diabetic finds what works for them and sticks with it, that is what is important. Nobody should try to tell someone what they are doing is wrong. It is up to the diabetic and their doctor to find what works for them.

    ReplyDelete