Friday, May 20, 2011

Pack, Relax, Enjoy

At this time tomorrow I will be boarding a plane heading to Mexico. It seems crazy, like I just got off a plane and now I am about to board another. I am really looking forward to relaxing on the beach or by the pool. Aspen was extremely relaxing as well, but in a much different way.

I am predicting that my blood sugars will be a little harder to control because of the heat. I find with the heat my blood sugar can drop unexpectedly, but I am a prepared little diabetic.   Packing with diabetes can be really frustrating because you have to remember to bring so much. Especially when you are going to a place like Mexico, you want to make sure you don't forget anything because it can be hard if not impossible to replenish your stock easily.

The best way to go about it for me, is to get big zip lock bags. If you get big zip lock bags you can keep your things organized.  I have one for bottles of strips, reservoirs, sites and alcohol swabs.  If you keep it organized in that way you can at least lay it out and see what 'zip lock' bag you are missing.    Keeping organized with your diabetes supplies is key.

Another thing that I got for my two trips is a loaner pump. A loaner pump is just like a safety net just in case something happens to your pump. It's pretty important to also know your rates just in case something happens, that way you can re-program your pump or your loaner pump.

But, most importantly remember to relax and enjoy your trip. Yes, diabetes gets to follow you on these vacations without purchasing a ticket, but it's up to you to make sure you don't let diabetes ruin your vacation.  As long as you give it the attention it needs, blood checks and insulin doses then it shouldn't bug you.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment