Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Graduated!

I have retired my psychology and sociology textbooks for the summer after finishing my last exam this morning around 10 a.m. I had walked the halls of Fanshawe college for two years and with a great two years behind me I am ready to move on. It is really hard to believe that I am now graduating from Fanshawe with a Diploma in Liberal Studies - for one, I was only planning on staying one year and for another - am I really old enough to have a Diploma other than highschool! Time sure flies, and before I know it I hope I am walking the halls of an elementary or high school one day - as the teacher instead.

Just before entering College I was handed a bigger life task - diabetes. For me, diabetes never really seemed like a negative disaster; rather a positive challenge. I clearly didn't allow diabetes to take over my life and effect me. I am living proof that diabetes is not a roadblock. I have had a great time in College and have experienced what College has to offer - and have not once let diabetes get in the way - it's just not like that.

For me, I am glad that I have documented the past two years of my life, so I can look at all the triumphs I have had in the past two years and let every diabetic out there know that college, residence, partying - all that stuff is possible! Although some things may seem a bit tough and stress can get to you - you can come out alive and most of all graduate knowing that the past couple or few years of your life were worth every penny spent!

I am ready to take on new challenges - I am ready to challenge myself and find new opportunities. I know that my life has so many great things to offer and each day I learn something new about myself and gain just a little more confidence to get out there and make a difference. I am so happy with where I am in life now and wouldn't rewrite my story if I could. Each day is a new adventure that I am willing to ride out.

Some exciting news that isn't exactly diabetes related - but, I love to think that diabetes has given me the confidence to be who I am today. I have had two speaking opportunities at Fanshawe College as a student panel to discuss important issues at Fanshawe. It seems like I will get more opportunities such as that in the future - which I am incredibly excited for! I am glad to be a part of Fanshawe and to be able to share my success at Fanshawe.

Another thing - which is diabetes related, is that I will be meeting with Canadian Diabetes Association tomorrow about possible speaking opportunities regarding this very blog! I am ecstatic! I know that so many people can benefit from reading my blog and that is my goal - to not let any diabetic ever feel alone in the disease. I am like the diabetes manual that actually is true, understandable and not written by someone that doesn't have diabetes.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment