Sunday, February 20, 2011

21 days.


In 21 days I have had diabetes for two years. Two years... I can't believe that it has been two years. On one hand it feels like I have had this all my life - I honestly cannot believe that I used to be able to eat candy and not have to worry about it. But, on the other hand it feels like I just found out I have diabetes.

I think that this disease had made me live. When I think of all the things I have accomplished in the past two years I wonder how my life would have turned out if I hadn't been diagnosed. No one wants to be told they have anything. No one wants to have to watch what they eat, take extra precautions, people just want to live life the way they want and when someone is handed an obstacle that all gets thrown out the window.

But, when it's all thrown out the window you can rebuild and start a new life. Of course old things make it through, but really, you begin something new. You build a new lingo for things that others won't understand or may think is strange. To me everything is sugar, I constantly say, "how much sugar does that have?" or "that has a lot of sugar!" or "I have to check my sugar" everything is sugar.

You learn to accept it and live with it, yeah I talk about diabetes like it's the hip thing to have now a days, but that is proof that I have accepted the fact that I have to live with diabetes every single day, every single second, minute, hour, special occasion etc. Diabetes doesn't turn off, so I had to realize that and deal with it.

My life isn't the same since being diagnosed, but that doesn't erase the past or predict the future.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment