Sunday, August 1, 2010

Trust


With a lot of things - we put trust in the unknown. With technology especially we just assume that our messages send or that our credit card number will remain private. For me, I put trust in technology every single day - so much that my life is on the line.

A few times I have had the conversation about how amazing it is that we just trust that the pump is doing its job. We trust that this device will save our lives. The amount of insulin that saves my life is unbelievable - it's like maybe a little more than a teaspoon and I trust that the pump will deliver that amount through a 24 hour time span.

I trust my meter to give me accurate results - however last night it said I was 25.8 mmol/L and when I tested again very much doubting that number I was a 9.5 mmol/L. I trust that in most cases it will be accurate and help me determine whether or not I have to treat a high or low and how much insulin I should give myself depending on the carbs in my meal.

I have to trust myself. I have to know that I can properly set up my pump and change sites. I have to make sure that I do everything that needs to be done to make sure that the pump is in correctly and able to deliver insulin.

Trust is a huge thing when it comes to my diabetes because even if I cannot 100% know if everything is working correctly beyond the bells and whistles it sounds when the pump definitely knows that it's not working - I just have to trust it.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment