Sunday, August 15, 2010

Pumpin' at the Bar


Last night was the first night I went out drinking with the pump. I was also staying over night at a hotel, so it was truly going to be a test of many things. I brought extra supplies with me to the room and I wasn't too worried about how it was all going to work out.

Before we went out we went out for dinner, my sugar was in the 5 range which was perfect. I gave myself the exact amount of insulin and later on I was 17! My carb counting could have been off, but I simply corrected. Once I started drinking and dancing my sugar went down accordingly and by 2 a.m I was in the 7 range and stayed in that range up until we ate breakfast at 11 a.m.

Wearing a pump with my dress was not as bad as I thought. I had picked a dress to wear that hid it well which was great. No one knew I was wearing a pump - including my roommates who haven't seen me in four months! The only disadvantage was that it was hot and would vibrate for me to check my sugar and because it was in such an awkward place I never ended up turning it off!

Overall the experience was easier than I thought and not having to take my 10:30 needle of Lantus was nice. My tubing however, had a little red tinge to it at the end of the night from my dress - I thought that was a little odd!

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment