Monday, August 23, 2010

Pump Trip


I made it through my first vacation with a pump to Darien Lake! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. At first I was a little unsure about how it was going to be and when my Dad first asked if I wanted to go on some rides I knew that I had to think about what I was going to do with my pump.

Since I cannot wear my pump on rides because of the magnetic force - I decided that taking it off for an hour or so wouldn't be too bad. First I tested my blood sugar which I believe was in the 7's - then I bolused two units because I had a feeling I would be gone for possibly longer than an hour and then I disconnected.

Once I got back approximately two hours later, my sugar remained in the 7's which was perfect. I did this several times while on vacation including when I went in the water in the water park. I didn't even notice the site on my stomach and I didn't even notice any strange stares.

I noticed by the end of my three day trip that my site was just about ready to come off. I guess from the wear and tear of camping it was ready to be changed. I had great blood sugars throughout my trip and only went low once - which I then ate an enormous marshmallow.

Even though my insulin pump can be completely annoying having to wear it with certain clothes - over all it has been excellent as far as keeping my blood sugars under control. It isn't the end of the world - it's definitely workable.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment