Thursday, August 12, 2010

Left in the Dark


Lately I have been having problems with my new meter. It has been giving me different readings when testing the exact same blood sample one after another. This is very concerning because I trust my meter to let me know how much insulin I can give myself. Also this meter is special because it talks to my pump - unlike any other meter I have.


I noticed this a couple times last week when I tested my sugar around 10:30 p.m and had a reading of 25. 25 is higher than when I was first diagnosed and I have never been this high before, but I definitely knew that I wasn't 25. When I re-tested I was 9.5. Major difference.


It's really frustrating to know that your meter is not working properly because I put 100% of my trust into the meter. If my sugar reads high then my pump will want me to correct with more insulin. This can lead me into low blood sugars. Without knowing my correct sugar I am left in the dark.


No matter how good technology is you have to always have you own opinion and let yourself be the final judge. I know that when I haven't ate in a few hours and my sugar is 16 - that there is something wrong. It could be a bad site, bad insulin etc. but it also could be the meter. Diabetes is very precise and if you aren't always thinking for yourself who knows where you could end up.


Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment