Monday, July 26, 2010

Strength


So today is my third day with the insulin pump and so far it has really helped my blood sugars as far as staying lower than at least 11. The pump has been really nice for not having to give myself a needle while eating and that is one of the biggest positive changes I have noticed.

One change that I am not liking at all is sleeping with the insulin pump. The first night I let it roll around with me and I woke up a few times with it tangled either around my back/stomach or around my arms. I know that I move around a lot so I am not sure about this option. Last night I started off that way, but I was getting beyond frustrated so I clipped it to the front of my pajama pants. I knew that there was a good chance that I wouldn't be sleeping on my stomach, so this method worked quite well.

As far as checking my sugar so much, that is also the MOST annoying thing. My fingertips are sore just typing this note. I am approx. checking my sugar 14 times a day which includes the check-ups in the night. At night I am getting up at 12 a.m, 3 a.m, 6 a.m and then 7:25 a.m for work.

I realize that all of this has to be done to make sure that I am getting the full benefits of my insulin pump, so the biggest thing I keep reminded myself right now is that I am strong and can do this. It sounds strange because I know there are a lot of worse things I could be going through right now, but I only have so much energy.

Strength is a big thing for me right now. I could so easily give up and don't get me wrong it has crossed my mind, but I am going to stick through this because I know once this part is over living with the pump will work. I have had several lows since going on the pump, but soon that will all be adjusted, so that unlike last night at 3:00 a.m I don't have to sip on a juice box.

So far at the daycare only one toddler has noticed and really didn't say much, he just poked it a few times! I am really surprised because I thought that would be something that would have zoomed in on.

Anyways, tonight I am changing my site with the help of my diabetic friend Mitch, who lives a couple blocks away. I want to make sure that I do it right and that I know how to do it. I am looking forward to a new site because this one is starting to get itchy!

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment