Monday, November 9, 2009

Perfect Blood Sugars!


It feels like I can't have a day with perfect blood sugars! For once in my life I want to have a day between 5-7 even though they do say that I can be between 5-10. Today I have stayed within the 7 range thus far and that puts me in a pretty good mood.

Diabetes is hard to manage, it seems pretty simple, eat healthy and exercise but there is so much more to it than that. I feel like it's a constant game about how much insulin to give yourself for a meal. Of course they give you a ratio, mine is 1 unit per 15 grams of carbohydrates, however; this isn't the case all the time.

So many different things alter your blood sugars besides food. For everyone I am sure it's different. I find that stress and mood play a huge factor on my blood sugar. If I am having a lot to get done in a short time, my sugars will be high. If I am put into a difficult situations or I am overwhelmed my sugars will drop. Ask Clinton this, anytime I am in a store and I am given a choice or have to pick, I often go into low blood sugars. I went low in Target one time, waiting for my mom to tell me if I could purchase something, another time I went into low blood sugar when I was at the bulk barn and had to pick candy for cupcakes. Now it's a joke that shopping makes me have low blood sugars, dollar stores especially.

It's difficult to manage diabetes when things that are hard to control effect your blood sugar. Sometimes different foods take longer to digest, such as pizza. So you may find yourself giving the correct amount of insulin but it doesn't peak appropriately to when your pizza is actually being digested.

But I must admit over the past couple months I haven't been as strict with myself, but I made a promise that I would. I need to help my body and leaving it without the support it needs is not a good idea. This can lead to diabetes related complications and that's not an option for me.

I think the biggest thing with diabetes is for people to understand that it's not just about what you eat. It's also about what you do, how you feel and think. It takes so much time and effort out of our daily lives than people without diabetes can imagine. We are constantly thinking about our disease because everything around us constantly is altering our blood sugars.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment