Sunday, November 8, 2009

3 Million People


World Diabetes Day is November 14th.

What does world diabetes day mean to me?

World Diabetes Day is a mark in the year that reminds us all of those that are living with diabetes. By 2010 more than 3 million people will be living with some form of diabetes. It could be your neighbour, friend, mother, classmate or you. Diabetes is a disease that effects so many people, people who don't even have the disease themselves. Parents take care of their diabetic children, teachers provide help for their diabetic students and most of all best friends provide support for their diabetic friend.

This year is my first time celebrating World Diabetes Day, and I am sure for a lot of my friends and family this is their first too. Unfortunately it takes someone close to us to be touched with a disease or illness in order for us to celebrate an occasion such as this, of course that's not always the case. I will be the person with the disease if you will celebrate and remember this day. You don't have to do anything special, but just don't forget.

Diabetes isn't something you can avoid, at least we don't know this yet. Type 1's didn't overeat, or forget to exercise and they eat too much sugar. We are not obese, unhealthy or fat. We are just like you, we ate wise and exercised, it just happened.

World Diabetes Day is more than important to me. I am celebrating it with good friends. I planned a party and I wish that I had a big enough place to fit everyone that has supported me throughout this time. I would have to rent out a gymnasium to fit all of the people that have given me a hand, words of hope as well as opened their heart up to me. To all of you, I thank you for being there for me.

I know that November 14th 2009 will be a day full of love, support and fun.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment