Friday, October 16, 2009

My Army


What can I do? I think a lot of people don't realize how much they can do. It seems impossible to stop something so we don't try. It seems unreal to help more than one person at a time so we don't care.

I was once a person who didn't care. I didn't think about people that were in pain, hurting, healing or dying. I cared when you told me your Grandmother was ill, or your best friend was diagnosed with cancer but I didn't go beyond that emotion called sympathy I let the feeling of sadness and concern fade once I shut my eyes and went to bed that night. In the morning do you think it mattered to me, as I couldn't decide what to wear or what to do with my hair that day? Nope.

I am sure I wasn't the only one. I know for a fact there must be more people out there that were just like I was. In such a busy life why do we bother to take time for other people? It takes us so much time just to get ourselves together, who cares about everyone else. In reality we all have a little time to spare.

The things we do seem important, going to bars, watching our favourite show on television or even shopping. Yet when asked what we are doing to help others we reply with, "I have no time."

When I created helping hands, I wasn't sure how people would react. When I created Team KK, I had no idea who would be interested and when I wrote this blog I wasn't sure what the response would be. I realize that people do want to help and support but many of us don't know how.

I love having my army of support. I love my dedicated readers Aunt Lisa, Joanne Richardson, Michelle Richardson, my Mom and Chelsea Lumiere to name a few. I admire those who participated in the walk to cure diabetes, Clinton Mackenzie, Abby Brown, Laura Brown, Kyle Bissonnette, to name a few once again. I am also proud of the eighty plus members who have joined Helping Hands such as, Brianna Theurer, Samantha Wiedrick and Melanie Baker.

There are many names I could express my sincere appreciation for. I think it's important that these individuals are recognized. I recognize that there are many, many, many of you that are apart of my army and I could spend hours on end writing each of you pages of how much I appreciate your support and dedication to me, and my crazy ideas.

I realize that we all have distractions and schedules. We have jobs, homework, tests, exams, children, families, hobbies and friends. But if we could all spend at least five minutes of our day, dedicated to at the least thinking about those who are battling each and every day, whether it be a family member, your child or even you.

We can't forget that beyond our profession and education that love is the most important. We all can share our love and support with one another. You just have to take the time to do so.

Kayla

1 comment:

  1. Kayla- i found your blog from a woman who bookmarked my blog. Our daughter Betsey is type 1 http://www.ride4betsey.blogspot.com. She, too, was diagnosed March 13, but in 2005! Isn't that weird! I started the blog b/c I did a 100 mile bike ride in VT this summer in her name.

    I am bookmarking your blog... a teenagers POV about being type 1. Soon, Betsey will be there, so your blog will help me as her mom.... Hang in there girl... This time next year, you'll have become more acclimated... xoxo.

    Meghan, Betsey's mom.

    ReplyDelete