Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Unbelievable


I sit here in my room, and can't stop smiling. I feel as if I have been given one amazing opportunity after the other. I can barely grasp the amount of praise and support that I have received in the past seven months. It's unbelievable.

Where would I be now if it wasn't for diabetes. I don't know. I probably wouldn't have been this far not only physically but emotionally in my life. I have come so far and never want to go back. I call diabetes a gift. Why? Because a gift is something you're given. A gift can make you smile, blush and in return make you want to give back. Diabetes has done this for me. A perfect gift.

Today I stood in front of about fifteen plus people. Just standing up in front of these people made my heart bigger, stronger and proud. I couldn't believe where I was, in a conference room. Not only was in a conference room but I was in front of real women who were interested and eager to hear what I had to say.

These women didn't know me previous to today yet took time out of their busy midterm week to listen. I appreciated every single second of today. I can honestly say every second I was reminding myself, look around, look where you are, how amazing is this! I felt like it was one of those moments you just wanted to freeze and hold on too. People were clapping for me, laughing with me and honestly connected with my story.

Just going around the room and handing out my blog cards I felt warmth from those around me, telling me I was inspirational and did a great job. I felt so much love in that room. I honesty did.

Although I was trying to help them better understand me and diabetes, they taught me a lot about what they knew about diabetes. It verified to me that people do not know much about diabetes and the differences of type 1 and type 2. More inspiration to keep getting people aware.

I thank Melanie Baker who made this whole thing possible. If she hadn't contacted me, this would have never happened. I love the fact that she trusted in me to speak, that makes me really happy. I hope to work more with her.

Overall today was an absolutely amazing day. It opened my eyes to realize there is so much that I can still do. This is just one step in the right direction. I am so excited for my future.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment