Saturday, August 8, 2009

Cake, Balloons, Friends, Nerves?


Balloons, cake, presents, friends, laughs, nerves?

Today is my 19th birthday party at my friends house. Although my birthday is not until next Sunday, today was the day that worked the best for the majority of the people attending. The party has been planned for a couple months now by my eager friend Sam and there is no doubt in my mind that it is going to be a night to remember. However, I do find myself nervous.

This morning I woke up feeling great, mainly because I got to sleep in until 8:30 a.m compared to this past week of waking up at 5:00 a.m. I also knew that it was finally here, the birthday party we had been talking about for such a long time. I couldn't help but begin to think of what I have to make sure I bring. I realize that alcohol lowers your blood sugar and I want to be fully prepared for that. I plan to be well aware of my surroundings, knowing what foods are available as well as bringing my DEX 4 tablets along the way. Like I stated before I want to show that I can get through anything while still maintaining my diabetes.

I keep telling myself this morning that I have amazing friends. I tell myself that because I know that I am going to be okay. If anything were to happen or I needed some support or help there will be someone there right away beside me. My friends are the best. I know that Sam will most likely already have a special Kayla First Aid Kit plus more and Michelle will be keeping an eye on me. Most of all I know Clinton is with me. He knows all about my diabetes and what to do since he puts up with it on a daily basis.

I think the important thing about any challenge I take on, is having someone beside you. Although I can't always have someone physically there I know that I have the support backing me up in the choices I make. You just have to trust that you're going to be okay and that you're strong.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment