Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Accept



As September creeps closer and closer I find myself becoming a little more nervous about the whole school situation. I simply have no idea how it is going to be and I think that's what makes me nervous the most. I am the type of person that predicts what's going to happen and can visualize the results but for this I have no idea what it's going to be like and I can't even believe that I am going off to college.

I think that while I spend my time in London, Ontario I will think of how much different it would be if I didn't have diabetes. I don't mean the fact that my eating habits would be different and I wouldn't have any medical issues but just the fact that my mind wouldn't be where it is at today. I have completely reshaped the way I go about thinking and the way I approach people. I don't want to be a negative person, I want to be open minded and allow people to come into my life that feel comfortable enough to do so.

I welcome new friends of all shapes and sizes. I hope that some people are just as accepting there. I was told that if anything, people would be interested in my disease. I do realize though that some people will not want anything to do with it.

I guess it's kind of complicated for a young adult to go off somewhere new in search of not only education but a new way of living. I've lived in the same house for most of my life, slept in the exact same room for almost sixteen years and now everything is about to change.

The best way that I am handling this right now is to think that my diabetes has allowed me to come out of my shell and show my true colours. Now people realize that I am a caring person, I do want to make a difference and I have the drive and motivation to see change.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment