Saturday, July 4, 2009

Opportunity Knocks


You wouldn't think that Diabetes would give you so many different opportunities until you really open your eyes. Three months previous to today I would have told you nothing good can come from getting a disease, that you're pretty much just going to have to deal with it. Truth is, diabetes has brought me more joy and success in my life than before.

Those Diabetics who think there isn't anything to offer out there are not looking hard enough, they don't have the drive and passion to find a cure and really use diabetes as an advantage not a disadvantage. I've managed to participate in a 5k run, meet amazing people, walk in the Telus Walk to Cure Diabetes, and also meet Country music star, George Canyon and that's just naming a few things that I've managed to be a part of. A lady the other day said to me, "my son, he's type 1, would have loved to do those things," as I named off a couple things I'd be up too. I thought to myself, "then do it ! Let your son realize that diabetes isn't going to hold you down that diabetes can open doors, make dreams come true and guide you into a life you thought was average but really is defiantly worth living."

On July 2nd 2009 Aunt Lisa & I went to a private George Canyon concert at the Hamilton Warplane Museum. We had an amazing time, just being there was a thrill and we quickly hurried around the building to snap some pictures of the planes before George arrived. We got front row seats, although there were not that many rows. Everyone with a blue band around their arm had Type 1 Diabetes which gave us the privilege to meet George Canyon, chat, get autographs and a t-shirt.

I remember listening to George speak about living with Diabetes, he was diagnosed since he was fourteen and had much experience. I thought about how lucky am I, to be sitting front row in front of a Juno award winning singer, sharing our experiences with diabetes and really connecting with at least fifty other diabetics. It was an absolutely amazing experience, that I couldn't imagine missing.

After the concert I waited in line to meet him. In a way I couldn't wait to see what he would say to me. It seemed he spent awhile chatting with each and every type 1 as they passed him in line and shared their story. I waited patiently, but excited as Aunt Lisa took pictures. When it came up to my turn, I had a huge smile on my face, as he asked my age and when I was diagnosed. He couldn't believe that I was only a diabetic for three months and asked me if I had any questions and if I thought of any to email him. He told me some tips to manage my diabetes and really left me knowing that I can get through anything.

You see, it doesn't matter who I meet with type 1, they teach me so much not only about the disease but about myself. I've noticed the warmth and willingness to help from every single type 1 I meet. For those diabetics who think it's just a disease and nothing good can come from it are so wrong.

Every morning I don't wake up thinking, "ugh, I have to take a needle and check my blood," instead I wake up happy and I usually feel at my best. I know that I have a little extra task to do before I eat but it doesn't bother me, it's like brushing your teeth or combing your hair. It's a lifestyle change, that I am well aware of but overall it's been an amazing change.

I am so thankful for all that has been given to me in the past few months. Not only for the material things, like my new purple iPod Nano from OneTouch or the Wonderland tickets from JDRF but the things you can't buy, love, inspiration and knowledge.



Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment