Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Beyond my Dreams


As a child we dream, our dreams are what we believe in and insist on pursuing. My dream was to become a teacher, have a family and a husband, nothing too out of the ordinary. We all dream of being healthy and we don't have a doubt in our mind that anything can change that.

This is my first blog entry but I've been writing since I was out of the hospital on March 16
th 2009. At first I wrote to let everyone know how I was feeling, I was simply just updating the public on my well being, not thinking that I was actually inspiring people. It wasn't until I started to get comments that I realized that my writing was actually making a difference. People that I barely knew were commenting and leaving me wonderful messages.

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on March 13
th 2009 at age eighteen. It was nothing that I dreamt of as a child that was for sure. It's amazing how many things go through your mind after being told you're diagnosed with something whether it be diabetes, cancer or anything that you know is definitely going to alter your life. For some reason the first thing that came to mind was, "can I have children?" Suddenly at that moment I began to think about that vary dream I had set out for myself as a child. Was this dream possible anymore?

I was assured all though sometimes a tough process it is definitely possible to have children. I remember the doctor's always asking if I had questions. I did have plenty of questions but nothing came to mind except that one. I knew that I could take on the challenge of having diabetes but I just wanted to be assured that it wasn't going to stand in the way of my dreams.

It's not devastating being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It isn't the end of the world or even close. In fact I look at diabetes as the chapter in my life when it all turned around, when my life was extended just a bit longer. Do you know how healthy I eat now? How much I care about my body and my well being? How much I know that life is the greatest treasure? Diabetes didn't put a rain cloud over me, it brightened my spirit and my mind.

When I think about the opportunities that being diagnosed as given me, I can only think how lucky I am. Although I am constantly having to monitor my blood sugar, give myself injections and read nutrition guides I find myself living a better life. I've been inspired to dream with no limits not only the dreams that I thought of a child.

I look forward to writing notes on here and allowing the world to follow my journey.

Kayla



No comments:

Post a Comment